Leaders Need Our Prayers
Do not say it does not concern you. No matter what you are and where you are. The decisions, policies and laws made by our leaders stand to affect us positively or negatively – whether as an individual or a family or friends or businesses.
We are urged that “petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be offered on behalf of all men for kings (i.e. Presidents, Vice Presidents, Prime Ministers, Chancellors etc) and all those in authority (Ministers, Governors, Chairmen/women, CEOs, Managers, Pastors, family heads etc), so that we may lead tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity. This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior…” 1 Timothy 2:2. Tough, you may say, especially when the leader seems to have a mind of his or her own.
According to the Word of God, the hearts of kings (presidents, CEOs, MDs, rulers etc) are in the hands of the Lord and He turns it wherever He wants. Proverbs 21:1. But there are surely others that want to turn the heart in their own favour. Let’s go further to decode who these are.
What Influence Our Leaders’ Decisions
One of the challenges leaders face is that of their flesh (i.e. their natural will, their selfish nature as a man, their environment or friend’s influence etc) that always fights against the spirit (i.e. the divine will of God, the right and godly way of life, the right policy and laws etc). Galatians 5:17. The two realms, that is the two dimensions, fight against each other. The will to do good and the evil that besets them constantly. May the Lord help us!
Secondly, there are other important factor that steer the leaders away from doing good. They are people close to the leaders; they compete with God to steer the hearts of the leaders away from doing good for the people they lead. Hmmm. May God help them. They compete, unknowingly, with the Jehovah God in steering the hearts of the leaders away in their own direction.
This type of people can be found prophetically in the Word of God in Ecclesiastes 10:5 – 7 that says, “There is an evil I have seen under the sun, as an error proceeding from the ruler: folly is set in great dignity, while the rich sit in a lowly place. I have seen servants on horses, while princes walk on the ground like servants.”
What does the underlined mean to you and I in understanding the people around the leaders?
- The rulers set foolish people in places of dignity: It’s not me that called them foolish, but the Word of God says so – “folly is set in great dignity”. That is, the leaders appoint people with less wisdom or understanding or knowledge or experience or creativity on subject matters to important positions in their cabinet; they appoint them as deputies, advisers, assistants, heads of organisations etc. This, the Word of God says, is evil. May God guide them right in their choice of assistants, advisers and deputies.
- The rich sit in a lowly place: The rich refers to those that have important and relevant resources, be it intellectual or financial or cognitive experience. The leaders deliberately put down those that can help them to build the kingdom. They reject or discriminate against their “Hiram” who can provide them resources to build the kingdom. 1 Kings 5:10. Again, God says this is evil to do. Do not be a respecter of persons.
- Servants are set on horses, while princes walk on the ground like servants: The leaders elevate the position of their advisers, assistants, deputies etc above the constituted authority of the establishment or nation. They arrogate more power to themselves than the constituted authority or resourceful individuals. This is not appropriate to do in the sight of God. They compete with the decision making and activities of the leaders. They filter what the leader hears and greatly influence the decision of the leaders. Many seek after their own. They come to King Nebuchadnezzar to report Daniel, Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego in Daniel 3: 8 – 13. They tell the king what he wants to hear.
All these are evil and abomination in the sight of God. They cause untold hardship on people.
What Do We Do When In This Situation?
- We pray that God will enlighten the hearts and minds of the leaders to see the deception of these people and have the courage to make adjustment.
- We pray that God will steer the hearts of the leaders to choose right.
- We pray that God will orchestrate activities from within and outside that will shake all that is ungodly and all that raise head against the divine purpose of God in our lives – all that compete with the plans of God shall be scattered in Jesus Name!
- We pray for the like of “Queen Esther” in the Bible that will go before the great leader to seek redress of injustice, and demand equity and purposeful life for the people
Lord, help our leaders as they go through this period. Let your influence prevail over them. Consider the crying of your people, people created by You. Let there be a revival in our land. Let the suffering cease! Let Your Glory envelope us and guide us. Lead us, Lord. And turn our captivity, in the Mighty Name of Jesus! Amen!
Click here to read the Article on “God Plans Change of Heart For Our Leaders”